The 2018 Veterans Business Battle welcomes all qualified applicants to submit their business ideas for consideration.
What makes a winning idea? A new solution, new product or new way of delivering a service. We welcome ideas from all industries. The finalists will be invited to compete in the Veterans Business Battle, where they will present their idea to a panel of judges.
HOW TO COMPETE
- Complete the application that describes your business idea, including an optional video pitch.
- Applications must be submitted through this website along with a scanned copy of the business owners DD Form 214 document from the U.S. Military indicating he or she was honorably discharged.
- Applicants must be residents of the United States.
- All applicants must consent to a background check if selected as a finalist for the purpose of prequalifying their business for funding
- Please review the Frequently Asked Questions section for information about typical investment requirements and formats
A panel of judges comprised of business leaders and entrepreneurs will review the submissions and select finalists.
The finalists will be invited to compete in the Veterans Business Battle at Rice University. Teams/individuals will compete for investment dollars and also have the opportunity to meet and network with successful entrepreneurs and investors, who will serve as event judges.
If selected as a finalist, come to the competition at Rice University prepared with to make a business pitch to judges and investors. Please be prepared to make a 1-minute “elevator pitch” and a full presentation. The 10 minute presentations should be interactive, entertaining and include all pertinent details about your business. Successful business pitches will explain the need for their business, explain how their business can solve this demand and sell the judges and investors on the product. Props, displays and interactive elements are encouraged. Judges may ask competitors questions about their businesses, so be prepared with any sales numbers, market research and other relevant data. It is essential that every business present not only an idea or product, but also have a clear funding request.
- Either the individual, controlling business owner (51 percent) or the majority of equally-shared partnership members must be honorably discharged from a branch of the U.S. Military (U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Air Force, U.S. Coast Guard) Form DDF214 is required to be submitted.
- Limited to residents of the United States
- You must complete the online application and attach your business idea in PDF format
- The business plan can apply to all industries, notwithstanding any illegal business practice.
- You must consent to a background check if selected as a finalist for the purpose of prequalifying the business for funding
Use of Conference Materials: The Veterans Business Battle reserves the right to use any material prepared for the competition in publicizing and promoting the event. Veteran Business Battle may use these materials in any printed materials and any videotape or other medium that it may produce. Veteran Business Battle may videotape any portion of the competition and utilize these tapes in any way that its sees fit.
Entry Fees: The Veterans Business Battle does not have an entry fee.
Changes to Competition Rules: While not anticipated, these rules and prizes are subject to change at the discretion of Veteran Business Battle at any time. The Veteran Business Battle has the right to interpret these rules according to its own judgment.
Decisions regarding the competition and the winners: All decisions regarding the competition rules, procedures, and processes are at the sole discretion of Veterans in Business Association. Changes and/or interpretations of these rules may be made by Veterans in Business Association at any time, even though they may be (or may appear to be) in conflict some previously published information. The selection of the teams to compete and the decision of the winners are at the sole discretion of the judges and Veterans in Business Association. Best efforts will be made to make decisions in accordance with the Official Rules document.